In 1.7 version Magento backup subsystem has been improved to allow filesystem and media backups and rollback to previously created backups.
Magento backups are managed at System > Tools > Backups where you can create new database backup, media backup or filesystem backup, download all backups to your workstation or restore Magento state to one of previously created backups:
To create full backup of your Magento Store please use the following steps:
- navigate to System > Tools > Backups screen in Magento admin (screenshot above)
- click on System Backup button at System > Tools > Backups
- click on Ok button to supress notification:
- enter the backup name and enable "Exclude media folder from backup" option (separate backup for media is more convenient)
- wait until backup completion and repeat the process for database and media files by clicking on Database and Media backup button
- when backups are ready, download backup files to your workstation by clicking on tgz / gz links in Download column
To automate backups creation you can use built-in Magento scheduled backup settings at System > Configuration > Advanced > System > Scheduled backup settings screen:
Magenting interface have an option to pack all Store files and fresh database dump into a ZIP-archive, accessible for your FTP account. In order for you to create such ZIP-archive, please navigate to the My Stores section in Magenting panel, click on the Settings button for your Store and then click on the Backup button:
As soon as backup is ready, you should receive an email notification to your mailbox.